How to measure for roman blinds
- Decide where your blind will hang
- Measure the width across the top, middle and bottom of your window
- Use the smallest measurement as your final figure
- Measure the drop across the left, center and right
- Use the smallest option as the final number
With a timeless design and a classic style, a roman blind will add a little luxury to your home. Available with light blocking qualities, a range of colours and patterns in an array of materials, you’re sure to find the perfect option to suit your interior.
You may have found the, but before you click buy, you’ll need to measure for that ideal fit. To help you get a great fit to suit your home and your chosen style, we’ve create a guide on how to measure for roman blinds.
Where will your blind hang?
Before you start measuring, you’ll need to decide whether your blind will sit either inside or outside the recess. Inside the recess, or a top fixing, means your blind will hang from the top of you lintel and sit within the internal area of your window. Fitting it outside the recess, known as face fixing, means it will hang from the wall above your window recess and overlap the wall on all sides.
A roman blind is versatile and can sit either inside or outside the recess – so think about what’s best for your home. Ask yourself if your blind will sit well inside your lintel, and if it’s free of obstructions. Or on the other hand, if you’re trying to save on space in the room, a top fixing could be ideal.
Once you’ve figured out where you’d like your blind to sit, you can start to measure.
How to measure for roman blinds
If you want to fit roller blinds within your recess, measure the area like this:
- Measure the width of the window, starting at the top. Use the edges of the window recess as your guide.
- Now measure across the middle and bottom of the window. When you have three measurements, use the smallest as your final figure.
- Take three measurements over the height of your window, too. This will be from the lintel to the sill. Measure on the left, right and middle. Choose the smallest measurement as your drop height.
It’s easy to take measurements before face fixing a roman blind. Just follow this process:
- Measure the width across the top of your window frame, using the edges of the recess as your guide. When you have a measurement, add 120mm to the figure so your blind will cover the entire window.
- Now measure across the middle and bottom of the blind, using the smallest measurement to find your final figure.
- Use the same process to find the drop of the curtain. With a face fixing, you can measure below the bottom of your window ledge so the blind completely covers the window. When you do measure, look out for radiators that may obstruct your blind.
Once you’ve followed these steps, you’ll find the right measurements to achieve the perfect fit on your new blinds. Then comes the fun part – shopping for a set of blinds.
Once you’ve found your favourite set of roman blinds, type the measurements in and we’ll get to work on creating your made-to-measure blinds straight away.
Find out how to fit your new roman blind here.